Thursday, October 27, 2022

Halloween Song: “Neon” (Last Night In Soho Soundtrack)


A brand new Halloween Song Profile.

If you’re creating a Halloween song playlist for a party or event, you might want an appropriate intro before delving into the actual scary material. Maybe an instrumental track that establishes the mood, either in a dramatic or ironic manner. Classic TV show themes like The Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, Star Trek, Doctor Who or Alfred Hitchcock Presents would work, and there are plenty of film soundtracks to explore. For example, I picked the song “Neon” from the 2021 thriller Last Night In Soho to kick off one of my Halloween playlists.

The track opens with a simple but haunting piano solo before a full orchestra conjures an invading army of zombies or some other evil force. With an instrumental, you’re free to craft your own nightmarish scenario; a flock of crows or bats swirling around in tune with the string section? Why not? Last Night In Soho doesn’t have those things, but there are plenty of ghosts. Slowly building its massive arrangement, “Neon” effectively conveys a sense of danger that might be inescapable.


In addition to an intense storyline and plot twists, Last Night In Soho uses several classic hits to establish an authentic 1960s setting for when the heroine drifts back to that decade in a series of frightening dreams. I highly recommend the soundtrack. I was fascinated by the reviews of Last Night In Soho, as well as the trailer, and its impressive cast, but I never went to see it. A few critics referred to it as a slasher flick, which is something I usually avoid.


Back in February, when my wife Pam and I were on a flight to Hawaii (not something we do on a regular basis) I noticed a gentleman a few rows up to my left was watching Last Night In Soho on the small screen in front of him. I spent a good deal of time watching his screen, figuring I could always look away if things turned violent. I wouldn’t call it a slasher film, but it does have some disturbing scenes. Actually, it would be a good choice to watch on Halloween night.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails