Monday, January 23, 2023

A Radio Personality Who’ll Always Be Alive In Our Hearts

Photo From The Official Lin Brehmer Facebook Page


Chicago radio station WXRT is devoting several hours today to honor its legendary on-air personality Lin Brehmer. The announcement that he had passed away was delivered with class and empathy by fellow WXRT DJ Terri Hemmert yesterday morning. Even though Brehmer’s followers were aware he had been battling prostate cancer for some time, we were still stunned by the news. Hopefully, today’s programming will help listeners and WXRT’s staff work through our grief and celebrate the man who always assured us he was our Best Friend In The Whole World.


For most fans, their appreciation of Brehmer’s wit, compassion and music expertise came strictly from listening to his radio program. Others gladly made an effort to meet him in person at WXRT events. My first encounter was at his birthday bash at Arlington Park on August 21, 2009. I worked up the nerve to say hello, and Brehmer responded like we had known each other for years.


By the time I went to a 2019 Hot Stove Cool Music pre-event at the Gallagher Way venue adjacent to Wrigley Field, I had spoken with Brehmer on a few more occasions. Enough to feel more comfortable walking up and saying hello. Plus, I sent him Facebook messages from time to time when I mentioned him on this blog. Brehmer introduced me to his close friend, Chicago journalist Mark Caro, and the three of us had a short conversation.


Brehmer would be hosting the Hot Stove Cool Music main event taking place the following night at Metro, but in the meantime, there was a full evening of fun to be had at Gallagher Way. While The Chicago All-Stars Band was performing a killer tribute to The Kinks, Brehmer came back over to where I was standing. He put his hand on my shoulder, and for a few minutes, we watched the Kinks tribute together. Yesterday, when I was still coping with the news of Lin Brehmer leaving us, it was that memory that came back the strongest to me. 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails