Saturday, December 25, 2021

Christmas Dinner


Merry Christmas to all who celebrate it, and best wishes to everyone for a healthy planet overflowing with peace and harmony for years to come. I’ve spent a fair amount of time these past two days scrolling through social media and reading festive messages from celebrities as well as acquaintances. If a funny or appropriate response comes to mind, I’ll make a Comment, but if not, I’ll just respond with a Like. Either way, I enjoyed and appreciated the sentiment that was posted.

There’s also something reassuring about checking in with former fellow employees from several years back. If it were physically and financially possible, I would throw an Old Fezziwig party for all the friends I made in workplaces and on creative projects over the decades. Along with all the entertainers who have given me the privilege of writing about their work. Instead, I’ll have to settle for raising a toast and saying, “Thank you, one and all.”


The Hollies recently posted a holiday greeting for their fans via a short clip on Facebook. Narrated by drummer Bobby Elliott, it was mostly about the band’s 2022 U.K. and U.S. tours. But Elliott also made a reference to he and guitarist/vocalist Tony Hicks working with Mary McCartney (Paul’s daughter) at Abbey Road Studios on an upcoming documentary. McCartney has been working on a film about the iconic recording facility, so I’m guessing that’s what Mr. Elliott meant. It would make sense that Mary McCartney would check in with The Hollies since they recorded so much great material at Abbey Road.


Speaking of The Hollies, it was 55 years ago on this day that I acquired Here! Hear!, my very first record by the band. It was a gift from one of my older brothers. I had asked for the single “Stop Stop Stop” and he reasoned correctly that if I liked one song by them I’d like 12 more, even if they were on an older album. I’ve been Hollies fan ever since.


Congratulations to WLUW DJ and longtime Chicago music supporter Di Kulka on her December 18 marriage to John Mitch Piteo. Instead of going to the chapel, the couple chose to tie the knot onstage at Montrose Saloon during a set by one of their favorite bands—The Handcuffs. 


There will be more celebrating at the north side music venue next Friday, December 31 when the David Bowie tribute band Super Creeps; rockabilly/garage rockers Amazing Heeby Jeebies; Smithereens tribute band Green Thoughts; and David Ashdown ring in 2022 with sets of live music. The music starts at 8:00 pm.


The BoDeans will be performing at The Des Plaines Theatre in suburban Des Plaines on New Year’s Eve. I hope to post a more extensive list of NYE options in the near future.


The critically acclaimed alt rock/Americana band Over The Rhine recently announced on Facebook that its December 18 career-spanning concert at Memorial Hall in Cincinnati, Ohio was filmed and is now available for fans to view via a private link. A message from Linford Detweiler and Karin Bergquist reads: “May these few hours of music, conversation, laughter and even a few healing tears, bring some extra joy to your holiday season.”


I’ve previously mentioned A Life In Focus by Graham Nash and Decades - The Bee Gees In The 1960s by Andrew Mon Hughes, Grant Walters, and Mark Crohan, both of which I gifted myself for Christmas. Here’s another rock and roll reading suggestion. Guitarist/vocalist Dave Davies from The Kinks has announced his new memoir Living  On A Thin Line will be published on July 7, 2022.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails