Monday, July 12, 2021

Incoming


The Handcuffs, one of the more fun bands you can see outdoors on a summer afternoon, will be performing on the Community Stage at 4:00 pm next Saturday (July 17) at the Belmont/Sheffield Music Fest. The Chicago-based quintet has three albums (with a fourth on the way) filled with energetic glam/indie rock originals to choose from, such as “Dirty Glitter,” “Vinyl Isabella,” and “Gotta’ Problem With Me.” Sometimes their songs flow naturally into an impeccable cover version of The Kinks or Mott The Hoople. A week later, The Handcuffs have a 7:00 pm gig as part of the new Sundays On State series.


The very first Sundays On State event was held yesterday, and according to an article by Talia Soglin in today’s Chicago Tribune, it was a complete success. Local vendors and businesses were on hand to sell books, crafts and food, and the performers included the Trinity Academy Of Irish Dancers and the Joffrey Academy Of Dance. Soglin noted the vibe was very festive.


There will be a Let’s Active 40th Anniversary Event + Concert at The Ramkat venue in Winston-Salem, NC on November 4. Founding member Mitch Easter will perform with special guest musicians who will also discuss the legacy of the band. The evening will include a tribute to Let’s Active original members the late Faye Hunter and Sara Romweber. Tickets go on sale on July 14. I saw Let’s Active as the opening act for R.E.M. at Park West, and was immediately hooked. I bought all their records, as well as the 2003 tribute album Every Word, which included Let’s Active covers by Bill Lloyd; Don Dixon and Jamie Hoover; Marti Jones; The Trolleyvox; Paul Chastain; and Bobby Sutliff.


The recent road trip my wife Pam and I took included a few days in Asheville, NC. On the day I checked out the Harvest Records Store, I wore the dB’s t-shirt I bought when they performed at The Hideout several years ago. Like Let’s Active, they’re NC natives. When the guy behind the counter complimented me on the shirt, I told him I knew I had to wear it while I was in North Carolina. “Absolutely,” he agreed. He said he had heard of The Hideout and was glad it survived the pandemic.


If the Let’s Active 40th Anniversary celebration has t-shirts and they’re available online, I’ll definitely buy one.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails