Saturday, October 16, 2021

Halloween Song: Shelivade - “Into The Night”


The Chicago-based, four-woman band Shelivade served up a hard rock vampire tale titled “Into The Night” on its 1994 debut CD, One More Than Ten. The duet between lead vocalist Jean Iversen and guest singer Jon Dobbs is both seductive and threatening, especially on the lines, “Darkness wakes my love/Lures me into the night/Haunts me with desire/My fate is your fire.” Iversens vocal firepower is reminiscent of Ann Wilson from Heart, and the give and take with Dobbs creates a theatrical ambience.

Vanessa Eichelberger’s guitar playing provides an energetic backdrop while the vampire’s modus operandi is rendered in short, poetic bursts. “Rapid pulse, empty veins/Feel my throat, blessed pain.” The nearly five-minute song ends with the line, “Vacant mirror, then I’m gone,” followed by one of the best evil laughs in rock since Vincent Price added his chuckle to Michael Jackson’s “Thriller.” 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails